Monday, July 9, 2012

Sa Rapitas


This week was full of those little moments that mean the world in that moment. Those, you-had-to-be-there moments, but I am going to do my best to give you a sufficient firsthand retell :) Enjoy.

Friday was Marta and Juanjo's night out, so I was home with the gals. It was actually no big deal because one, Kace was a jem and stayed home to keep me company, two, I feel so comfortable in the home and with the family that it was just relaxing for me, and three, nights start so late here that I didn't even have to be home till 830 anyway so I got a good chunk of hours after I finished for the afternoon until I had to be back. Kacey and I pulled out the bikes to master them hills and scout out our future excursion to the "Castle". I say "Castle" because that's honestly all I know about that huge beautiful structure on the hill so far. We've yet to get the low-down on this historic work of art so I don't want to be falsely informative about our trusty 'ol "Castle". 

ANYWAY, we scouted out what we thought would be the trail we will run eventually while we had the ease of bikes and then went back for the workout of a life time. I need to tell you about this workout, both because I'm beyond happy about it, and because it'll help you understand my feelings on the next topic. Basically, any movement (including the effort of a beating heart) here on the island will have you walking around with sweat dripping from your pores. Dripping. So, this heat + humidity + a Firehouse Fitness home routine had us in puddles. This was a good one folks, contact me if you're interested! 

We crawl upstairs to a life-saving supply of water and drink up while the girls finish din. 
Oh din.
Marta had prepared just about the most greasy, exotically cheesy, and tempting homemade pizza I have ever seen paired with an equally greasy, exotically cheesy and tempting tray of nachos. Uh oh.
Now for those of you who know me well, I'm not particularly fond of pizza and somewhat of a grease/health natzi... and THIS was tempting. Does this tell you something about how good this array of cheesy, greasy, goodness looked and smelled even after our wicked great sweaty tough workout?
-I know you're loving the combo of descriptive words in this post  ;)

So we had some. And it was quite possibly the best calorific pizza/nachos I've ever had. Sorry I slurped up that slice ( or 2, or 3...) before I thought to take a pic, I'm telling you, this food was calling my name.

So getting to my favorite part of the night, the girls had finished eating and Alicia had wandered over to the snack cupboard to satisfy a post-dinner munch crave. She picked a bag of cheetos and explained to me- after I told her no- that her mom allowed cheetos on Fridays. She had me convinced so I let her open them and sit at the table. In no longer than 5 minutes, Juanjo arrived home from work to go meet his friends for din and then eventually, meet up with Marta, who had already left. Ho-ly cow. Alicia's reaction to the sound of that garage opening and her father's steps up the stairs was positively priceless. She shot out of her seat, ran to me with this look of panic in her eyes and explained in her broken English that her mom is okay with it, but her dad doesn't like them eating the cheetos. I, her source of rescue, was useless because I was leaned over laughing to hard at her reaction and excuses, so in her paniced mess she shot desperate looks around the kitchen for a spot to stash the bag and then settled on opening the fridge and shoving them in the fruit bowl. I was seriously dying. If I could have explained the story to Juanjo and not have had to deal with our language barrier, I'd have spilled and had him rolling with laughter too. Instead, I settled Alicia with a comforting laugh and smile, and played it cool when Juanjo came into the kitchen. I even stopped my laughing giggle fit. 

The next morning was an experience with my first actual cooking for the girls... they wanted crepes and I had no recipe. Yeah, I know their oobs simple...but I wanted the comfort of some kind of recipe to follow and I didn't know if they made theirs completely different. The morning turned into a cooking class from the 6 and 9 year-olds to the 22 year-old nanny. They found the recipe and then I realized how useless it was to me when their measurements were in grams, I knew no Spanish recipe vocab, and couldn't find measuring devices anywhere in that kitchen. It turns out they just have a built-in scale with their mixer and just reset it at zero as we add each ingredient. The girls walked me through the process and then were sweet to not complain when the things came out thick as waffles. Don't worry, our spoonfulls of Nutella and apricot jam made these thick pastries delectible. Yet again, I've somewhat cooled the calorie phobia (and am reaping those unfortunate benefits...).

Skipping through many more days of these experiences, 
THE EURO CUP GAME??? Honestly, what are the chances that I'd be here for the biggest sporting game in Europe? And of course, when they win their 3rd major title in a row (Euro, world, Euro). Kels, Kacey, and I went down to the center of Palma to meet up with a friend from the branch and about  two thousand other fans to watch the game in the "Center de Borne" on the outdoor bigscreen. This street was packed and each goal, near-goal, flag, or bad ref call was a blast. At the call of the game, the place was wild and everyone made their way to the traditional central fountain monument and went crazy in the water. 

0.jpg 0.jpg

0.jpg

This celebration, we decided, was our 4th of July replacement-we even had fireworks! Spaniards here in Mallorca were the best partiers! We never felt like any alcohol was getting out of control, nor that any violence was going to break out. They were so fun and enjoying their country's Soccer title. Post-game was a riot of a party (this was our parade-replacement) and put on by all ages- families, old folks, flags, blowhorns, 4 wheelers, jeeps, motorcycles, scooters and everything inbetween. It was all so fun to watch and be a part of.

I walked slash ran the distance to the main metro/bus station, Place D'Espanya early this morning to meet back up with the family at the beach house for our holiday week. Finished a great, fun day with the girls with another dreamy run along the coast and up onto the Marina wall to sit and watch this beautiful beach town live its life. 

Oh how I'm looking forward to this week of exploration, kayaking, snorkeling, beautiful scenes, exhilarating runs, and new adventures.

Tuesday, July 2nd

Talk about new adventures! This morning l woke to help get Martita ready for her sailing lessons which was a struggle beyond struggle, let me tell you. As much of a stinkin doll she is, she can be one MAJOR fit-thrower. Probably the biggest I've ever dealt with. After the hour-long fight, Marta tells me some of their friends are coming over for breakfast. The family is on vacation, sailing for the week and were headed over with their two sons. 
0.jpg 0.jpg
The food was delish, of course!


0.jpg
The cutest, right?
This family was so dang sweet, I swear I keep meeting the most loving people. THEN Marta informs me that they've invited us to spend the day on their SAILBOAT!!! Was I a wee bit excited for this??0.jpg  0.jpg
0.jpg
Our little captain
0.jpg
Some of our sailing crew
  0.jpg 0.jpg 0.jpg 0.jpg 0.jpg

All in all, the day was an epic success.

July 4th

We ended a good, relaxing day at the beach house with possibly the best meal I've had here thus far. I walked back after a skype session around 945 and the family had just thrown the food on a cute little table bbq grill. It didnt take Marta long to notice my eating habits and favs and this was a complete britt-lovin meal. Outside in our blankets around the table with zuccini, carrots, tomatos all on the grill as well as melting cheese and toasting bread made for some happy vacationers. We then cleaned up and moved to the patio sofas with our blankets, talking, laughing, shooting star spotting, and star gazing for another hour or so. I really needed this comfort tonight. This family and these darling girls has sure made home sickness much easier, but I couldn't help but feel a melancholy on the biggest and most memorable summer day of the year. This time around I shared those memories with a new family and made some fantastic ones under a Spanish, island paradise moon :) 

July 6th
I literally wanted to cry today, Las Colonia was so perfect. After the day in Las Rapitas, we left to walk around another beach, Las Colonia. The place had this beauty and perfect relaxing feeling like I've never felt before, the weirdest emotion, to cry, seriously came over me. I wanted people I love to come experience this so much and it was all so wonderful, being in this outstanding place with this family that I love.... I was just overwhelmed with gratitude I guess. How'd I luck out like this? 

0.jpg
0.jpg
Doesnt do this place justice, but its an attempt
We finished off the night eating out for dinner, although it was about 10 when we got to the restaurant (this whole eating late thing is rough on the mornings and a tough one to try to go with....  I was finished eating for the day at 6 and we still had a full on meal at 10??). The food was fun, yet simple, how I like it. The restaurant was the cutest (my fam knows my obsession with "cute" restaurants) little typical place but SO fresh and SO good. 

0.jpg

The kids got their fav chicken version and fries, and the 3 of us adults shared 3 plates. One extraordinarily fresh garden salad, plate of bread, caso, and jamon, and a plate of chicken/grilled red peppers. Finished the late dinner with lots of laughs, back home for continued laughs and star gazing/ice cream eating on the back deck overlooking the beach and under this beautiful moon. 

Cheese ball of a day's description, but I guess it's my attempt at expressing how much I love this place.

Some more from the week

0.jpg
The gang. Marissas family and mine
0.jpg
My darling gals
0.jpg
0.jpg 
Cute Marissa and our families joined for a kayaking day. So much fun and fantastic to spend some time with a fellow Utahn (sp?). We may vent to each other a tad...
0.jpg
Sea salt production
0.jpg
Beautiful ladies
0.jpg
Kayaking adventure. Marissa and I swam to the island (about 15 minute swim) and then all of us kayaked around the island for the day. 
0.jpg
0.jpg 
Juanjo, the cutest and most stylish Spanish pops 

2 comments:

  1. Britt! Absolutely love this post!! Makes me miss Spain so much! Miss the food, warm weather, people, beautiful water, and simple food!
    Really wish I was there with you!
    Love, Jean
    Ps- I can't see any of the pictures!! So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britt, love your blog! We miss you, glad you're having such a great time! Wish I could see your pictures :( love you!

    ReplyDelete